1. Chao go through very distinct life cycles. They are hatched from eggs, they grow, and when they hit “puberty”, they return to the egg stage where they’re body goes through a very fast metamorphosis, and they are re-hatched as adults.
2. Chao are a highly versatile species and adapt extremely fast to weather, location, and their surroundings. Flight types are seen in trees, Swim types near bodies of water, etc. Chao can choose their own path by taking traits from other animals, but often choose to do such for either necessity, or vanity.
3. Chao are considered quite low in the hierarchy of Gaia. Humans considered themselves 1st, and the Anthro species 2nd, and anything under that to be much less. Because of this, Chao are, in many areas, treated and kept as pets. They have been fighting for the past 50 years to break free of this stigma and become equals, but the battle is long and far from over.
4. Most Chao live in communities called “Gardens”, which live up to their name as they are areas filled with flowers, plant life, and nature. Many Gardens are built to suit the needs of the Chao living there. They can be small with only a few dozen people, or massive, almost like a small city. In either the center, or main entrance to every garden is a tower, usually 3-5 stories tall in which the Guardian, the leader of that particular Garden, uses to watch over his, or her people. The Guardian’s Tower is a placer where people can meet with the Guardian, go to for her, and underneath it is usually where the prison cells are kept, though for most Chao, they’re generally pacifists so the needs for a prison is minimal.
5. Chao are very balanced and in sync with nature. They have learned to use technology sparingly, and work much closer with nature. As such, the pollution from Chao Gardens is nearly non existent, as they’ve learned to recycle and reuse almost everything.
6. There are two distinct forms of Chao Government, the Chancellery, currently lead by Asha, and the Old Code, which stands alone in various Gardens. The Chancelley is voted in by the Chao people, for the people. The Chancellery is what controls all “Modern” Gardens, where Guardians are hired and assigned to Gardens, much like police officers. All of these Guardians answer to the Chancellor and Government, with a universal Guardian Education system and laws in place. The Old Code is much different, it is where Gardens are part of a family line, passed down from generation, to generation. Crackers and Aqua are prime examples of Old Code Guardians. While the Old Code is universal in it’s own right, it runs independently in each of it’s Gardens. And Old Code Guardian cares little for what goes on outside their Gardens borders, and will protect any and all persons living within it to the death, even from the Chancellery. They are not “above the law”, just “outside” of it. The Chancellery generally leaves the Old Code Gardens alone, as they keep to themselves and run by such a high code of honor, they are not a threat to national security. However, because of this, while the Chancellery will send troops and assistance to it’s own Gardens in need, it refuses to assist an Old Code Garden, since they wish to remain outside of the government, they must help themselves. That suits Old Code Guardians fine, as they rely on each other if need be.
7. Another thing that differs from the Old Code to Modern, is that all Old Code Guardians are blessed by Chaos and Tikal, and given a Chaos Emerald in which to sustain their Garden. Each Garden only gets one, and from each emerald, a shard is broken off, which each Guardian carries at all times. If there are multiple Guardians in one Garden, they each get a piece of the same emerald. While most simply carry the shard, some, like Crackers, will have it implanted in their body so it cannot be lost, and it is a show of status. The Chaos Emerald is housed in a hidden room called a Chaos Chamber, which cycles the energy of the emerald and powers the Garden.
8. Chao have the ability for rebirth after death, but it takes very special circumstances, and usually only happens if they are blessed by the gods. A chao will not be rebirthed if their death is a suicide, as the gods feel they have wasted the life given. It’s not very often it happens anymore.
9. The chao have the ability to mate in two ways, the “normal” way, as most creatures do, or by the sacred Chao Dance, where they dance and prove their love to each other, and the gods. Only those deemed truly in love are blessed with an egg, that the gods create specially for the couple and it appears in a next of beautiful flowers. The gods do not discriminate by gender either, so two males or two females may have an egg this way if they wish. All the gods care about is if there is true love to raise the baby. It has also happened where a group of chao have danced together to ask the gods for an egg.
10. The art of sphere communication, where the sphere changes shapes to express moods, is a dying art, and usually only done by infants out of instinct, and is generally taught to control by parents as the child grows. However, since it’s still very instinctual, Chao may express themselves via the sphere without thought if they are angry, surprised, or injured. Though, some chao prefer to not restrict it, and allow their emotions to control their spheres.